Casino BACCARAT Instruction!

Explaination of the rules of Baccarat and the strategy you should follow for the best success. Baccarat is a pretty simple game which requires no skill or decision making. However, players love playing Baccarat and huge amounts of money are often wagered on the game. The house edge is probably the lowest compared to all other casino games.

The Play of Baccarat

Baccarat is a card game in which players can make wagers.  The American version known as Punto Banco is purely a game of chance with no skill or strategy. The decisions are forced by the cards the player is dealt. 

Overall, Baccarat is a fairly simple game where there are only three outcomes, Player, Banker, and Tie.

The words Player and Banker do no refer to the Player or the Casino as one might expect, they are strictly options on which the player can make wagers.

Hand Values

Cards 2 through 9 are face value.  10’s, Jacks, Queens, and Kings are worth zero. Aces are worth 1 point.

Your hand value is the total of all cards in your hand, if the hand is greater then 9, then the tenth digit is removed so the value is a number from 0 to 9.  For example,  a 4 and 5 is worth 9; a 6 and 8 (14 total) is worth 4; and a 3 and 7 (total 10) is worth 0.

The highest score is a 9 and the lowest score is a 0.  The lowest score, 0, is what Baccarat means.

The casino always acts as the banker.

Players may bet on either the player or the banker.

Two cards are dealt alternatively face down to the Player and to the Banker.

Both hands are turned over and added up and the croupier calls the score.

Depending on the two hands, the Player and the Banker may draw a single card or stand pat.

The hand with the highest total score wins.

If either the Player or the Dealer has a total of 8 or 9 no further cards are drawn and the game is over.

If nobody has an 8 or 9, then the Players hand draws a single card if he has a total of 0-5. If he has a starting total of 6 or 7, he stands.

The Banker's play is dependent on the Banker's initial hand total, if the Player drew a card, and on what card the Player drew:

If the Player did not draw a card, the Banker draws if he has 0-5, and stands if he has 6-7.

If the Player drew a 2 or 3, the Banker draws if he has 0-4, and stands if he has 5-7.

If the Player drew a 4 or 5, the Banker draws if he has 0-5, and stands if he has 6-7.

If the Player drew a 6 or 7, the Banker draws if he has 0-6, and stands if he has 7.

If the Player drew an 8, the Banker draws if he has 0-2, and stands if he has 3-7.

If the Player drew an ace, 9, 10, or face-card, the Banker draws if he has 0-3, and stands if he has 4-7.

The Banker's decision is summarized in this graph: S= stand, H = Hit

Banker's
Score

Player's Third Card

0

1

2

3

4

5

6

7

8

9

7

S

S

S

S

S

S

S

S

S

S

6

S

S

S

S

S

S

H

H

S

S

5

S

S

S

S

H

H

H

H

S

S

4

S

S

H

H

H

H

H

H

S

S

3

H

H

H

H

H

H

H

H

S

H

2

H

H

H

H

H

H

H

H

H

H

1

H

H

H

H

H

H

H

H

H

H

0

H

H

H

H

H

H

H

H

H

H

 

The croupier deals the cards necessary according to those rules.  He then announces the winning hand and players are paid. 

Most casinos pay 1 to 1 if you bet on the Player and 95% of your bet if you wagered on the Banker. The other 5% is the commission charged by the casino.

If the Player and the Banker score are tied, it is a push and nobody wins.  When a Tie occurs, the croupier says “Egalite – tie bets win”.

This is because a person can bet on the outcome being a Tie and if this occurs he gets paid usually at the odds of 9 to 1.

Baccarat Strategy

Baccarat is a rather simple game.  In terms of house edge, there is probably no better bet in any casino. Normally, 6 decks are used so the following percentages assume this is how many are being used. The house edge is only 1.06% when you bet on the Banker, and 1.24% when you bet on the Player.  If you stick with betting on the Banker or Player, you really are not giving up a big edge to the casino.  However, avoid betting on the Tie, which has a much greater house advantage of 14.44%.